Through its Biotech Initiative, the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation (Біотех ініціатива Фундації "Україна-США")believes in unleashing the full potential of scientists in Ukraine to empower them in fighting global diseases, feeding the world’s growing population, and protecting our planet. With your help, we can equip them with the tools, training, and connections they need to be on the cutting edge of meaningful discovery.
Why Our Work Matters
In a world with increasingly fewer borders, international development benefits all of society. We must provide the greatest scientific minds in Ukraine with the tools they need to respond to local challenges before they become global crises. Supporting Ukrainian researchers on the scientific frontlines strengthens the entire global community.
Who Do We Work With?
The U.S.-Ukraine Foundation’s Biotech Initiative works with people just like yourselves, who care about solving global health and disease issues as well as ensuring our environment is protected with measures taken to address climate change, agriculture production, nutrition and health. Our colleagues are generating social impact through science. Together, we really can change the world. Won’t you join us?
The project, aimed to support the advancement of biotechnology in Ukraine, was made possible through a generous financial gift from Ms. Irene Joseph of Southport, NC.
An initial public announcement was made by U.S.-Ukraine Foundation President Nadia McConnell to a gathering at the Foundation’s offices which included then Vice Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic integration Ivanna Klympush-Tsintsadze. Discussions are ongoing with the Embassy of Ukraine in the United States with the intent of maximizing efforts for the program.
The innovative new initiative fits in very well within the Foundation’s Economic Development Program which has been adding activities over the past several years.
To capably work in the biotech sector, the Foundation recently became a member of the Biotechnology Innovation Organization, which is the world’s largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations.
The Biotechnology Initiative will have the positive effect of expanding educational and economic opportunities for the People of Ukraine. By encouraging innovative approaches by students, researchers, entrepreneurs, and small and medium size businesses, this initiative will advance the state of biotechnology in Ukraine.
Working with public and private sector leaders, the Foundation aims to heighten the awareness of the benefits of the biotechnology sector for Ukraine, the positive impact it will have on the economy, and on the lives of the People of Ukraine.
What Assistance Will We Provide?
The Foundation envisions providing financial assistance in the forms of the following:
- Grants to Ukrainian graduate students, researchers, and others who wish to attend or participate in a biotechnology conference or similar educational experience, such as an internship, in the U.S. with a biotech-related company or organization; the Foundation will provide assistance in the form of conference fees, travel grants, housing stipends.
- Grants to Ukrainian entrepreneurs of start-ups and small/medium size businesses to support business innovation, on-going development, infrastructure needs and research.
What Types of Activities Will We Support?
The Foundation envisions supporting projects that seek to accomplish the following:
- Developing cooperative relationships between Ukrainian and U.S. biotechnology players through trade shows, conferences and other networking opportunities.
- Stimulating U.S. corporate support for small Ukrainian biotech companies, start-ups and entrepreneurs.
- Facilitating internships in the U.S. for Ukrainian university and post-graduate students.
- Organizing and promoting U.S. experts to travel to Ukraine for training, networking and advisory purposes.
- Advocating for the development of biotechnology in Ukraine.
- Encouraging the development of biotech incubators in Ukraine.
- Working with Ukrainian government officials to enhance biotech development and opportunities in local and regional jurisdictions.